Sunday, June 10, 2007

6/08/07 - Tenant

Around 7 p.m. after closing, I went next door to ask Tenant if he had this month's rent. I'd asked RK the previous day to politely remind him that rent was due this week.

He pulls out a pre-written check in an envelope from a drawer and hands the envelope to me. (Which is annoying because if he'd already written the check, why did he wait for ME to go to HIM? He should know to just give me the rent!) I look over the check and notice that the date written on the check is 7/08/07. I point this out to him, and he replies, "No... that is today's date." He insisted this about twice until I said, "Look... this says JULY." Finally he takes a pen and writes a bold "6" over the "7" and initials it with a K (the first initial of his nickname which a bank teller would obviously not know).

Sister deposited the check today in the morning (Saturday). The last two months, Tenant paid the rent completely in cash since the last few checks have bounced. Manager asked me today if I'd gotten the rent from him, and I tell him the story about the wrong date. Manager laughs and comments that DA probably did that purposely so that I would not be able to deposit the money and therefore he would have a few more days to come up with the cash.

(I believe this as well.)

No comments: